Thursday 11 April 2013

Rice Kulfi with Watermelon Granita

When I read the magic-mingle-challenge of this month ( Rice and Watermelon) for few days I couldnt go beyond the idea of rice dosas and appams . I already sent my entry of  sweet-melon-dosas  but still wanted to send something different .
And then while going through other food blogs I came across a blog which gave me an idea of what my next dish could be and so while writing the post for this super delicious entry I have to mention my blogger friend  priya  because it was from her magic mingle entry through which  I got this idea though indirectly.
 When I saw that she had made rice payasam I suddenly thought of making rice kulfi and serving it with melon granita. The results were unbelievable and an instant hit in my home . Everyone loved this colourful dessert (tasty and trendy too ) and I too enjoyed making it thoroughly.

Ingredients :

For the Kulfi :

2 tbsp................rice (basmati )
1/2 litre.................milk
1 tsp....................saffron cardamom contentrate
2 tbsp.................almond paste
5 tbsps.................sugar
1 tbsp..................ghee

For the granita :

3 cups .................watermelon cubes ( seeds removed)
1 tbsp .................grated beetroot ( thats the secret of my red coloured granita)
1 tbsp..................lemon juice
3 tbsp....................sugar




Method :

For  Kulfi :

Heat ghee in a pan and stir fry the washed rice well.
Now add little water and cook for 10 minutes.
Then add the milk , sugar and cook on low flame stirring ocassionally .
Cook till the milk thickens and the rice is well cooked .
Add the almond paste and saffron cardamom concentrate and cook for 2 more minutes.
When the mixture cools down fill it in the kulfi moulds and set in the freezer overnight.

For Granita :

Blend all the ingredients and put them in a steel container in the freezer.
After every 2 hours take the container out and beat the pulp with a fork.
Repeat this at least 2 times.
Now let it crystallize in the freezer till your kulfi is set.

Assembling :

In the bowl demould the kulfi and serve it with the colourful yummy granita .






Sending this for : 

magic-mingle (watermelon and rice )


And also to following evnts : 

healthy-food-for-healthy-kids 

Srivallis kid delight at simplytadka  

celebrate summer  at  nivedhanams

cooking with seeds almonds  hosted at  simplytadka

sizzlingtastebuds





































14 comments:

  1. refreshing combo for summer..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. Its my fav kulfi with ggranita...
    Thanks for sharing with my event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha what a refreshing combo..Love kulfi and this watermelon granita is making it more delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love this. Very nicely clicked too..thanks foe linking to my event. Keep linking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kulfi with rice .. very innovative recipe dear :) looks so yummm

    ReplyDelete
  6. New to ur blog,happy to be ur follower
    Kulfi looks soooo gooood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. Cute looking kulfis.. Best way to beat the heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously very innovative and unique kulfi and tempting granita..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your lovely and encouraging comments and Priya you are my source of inspiration ......

    ReplyDelete
  10. So refreshing and delicious! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!! this luks great...first time here, Nayana. nice collection you have here. do drop by my space as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never Imagined abt watermelon granita Wonderful recipe and blog :) im ur new follower now
    also do visit my space http://sweets-n-spices.blogspot.in/ im in search of new frnds would be glad if u can follow me back or add me to G+ :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...