Friday 5 April 2013

Mug Daal Usal

I still remember as a child I used to literally wait for this usal to be ready. This was and is a regular dish in my kitchen on panchami ( we fast on that day every month).

Yeah I know , it does sound funny that we used to have this dish on the day of fast. But believe me we konkanis usually have this usal, upma , sheera etc during our fasts. When I grew up I was teased by my friends for this and that is when I started using sabudana as a food during fastings.

But still I love preparing this tasty and so simple dish for our breakfasts regularly.







Ingredients :

2 cups............................moong daal
1 tsp...............................mustard seeds
1/2 tsp.............................hing
1 tsp................................turmeric powder (optional)
10 to 12 ........................curry leaves
2 to 3 ............................green chillies
1 tbsp..............................sugar
salt
oil (preferably coconut oil)





Method :

Soak the daal in warm water for 2 hours.
In a pan heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.
Then add slit chillies, curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder, salt and sugar
Add the drained daal and stir fry for 2 / 3 minutes.
Add 2 cups water and cook covered with a lid.
If needed can add little more water.
Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Cooking in coconut oil imparts a lovely flavour to this dish but you can use other oil too.







This entry  goes to following events 


walk-through-memory-lane-april at myhomemantra

cookin with legumes at naliniscooking












only legumes

















3 comments:

  1. Something new for me but I am all in for new food because thats the joy of eating. Awesomely flavors and beautiful outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new dish for me.. Looks simple & tasty :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...