Saturday 30 March 2013

Dinner Rolls (Baking Eggless Challenge )

Finally I have decided to try my hands at baking. It is not that I do not bake at all , but if there is any thing in cooking that I am apprehensive of it has to be baking. Some of my earlier attempts at baking failed to give me the desired results  and since then I am never confident about it.

But I have decided that if I want to learn it , I have to go through it again and again taking my failures as challenges.

I have joined  baking-eggless-group  from this month not because I am an expert baker but with a hope that I may learn many things from my blogger friends and get their helpful tips too. This months challenge for the baking eggless group was these lovely dinner rolls which were suggested by Priya Srinivasan  and are originally taken from cookingclassy  website. As it called for just 1 egg I substituted it with curd which for me is a tried and tested substitute as I didnt want to experiment something new at the last moment. Yes I forgot to mention that I joined this group only one day back and so had a single day to complete the challenge. Hope I have successfully done it. Ofcourse I did not try any variations and stuck to all the instructions A to Z. The only change I made was to halve all the ingredients .


Ingredients :

1/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/3 cup + 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup salted butter (room temp)
2 tbsp curd + 1 pinch baking soda (substitute for 1 egg)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup  maida ( all purpose flour)
1 n 1/2 cup wheat flour









Method :




Add yeast and 1/4 tsp sugar in warm water and dissolve it .
Keep it till mixture is foamy (10 mints approx )
Take this in a vessel and blend  .
Now add 1/3 cup sugar, warm milk, 5 tbsp butter, curd + soda and salt.
Mix  properly and add half of  maida and wheat flour and mix well.
Mix the remaining maida little at a time kneading well.
The dough should be elastic and slightly sticky.








Keep it in a greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap for  1 1/2 hours in a warm place.
It will be double the size.
Punch it with hands and make a big ball .












Roll it  into a circle approx 13 inches and apply 1 tbsp butter to it evenly.
Cut it into 4 quarters and further each quarter into 3 more pieces like pizza.
Make a roll of each piece from wide outside to the narrow inside.












Arrange them on a buttered sheet.








 





Cover them with a plastic wrap and let it rise once again for about 1 hour till almost double.













During the the 10 minutes preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius and bake for  20  minutes or till golden brown.
Brush the rolls with the remaining butter.





10 comments:

  1. Bread rolls are yummilicious. Nice presentation Nayana.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/03/hyderabadi-vegetable-dum-biryani.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy rolls. Nice clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  3. well made nayana......................

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy perfect rolls and love the nice shape and colour of your rolls.Excellent step by step pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect rolls.. I hope now u believe that baking is simple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chitz , but I know I still need a lot of practice as they were not very soft the way I wanted them to be....though the results were encouraging...

      Delete
  6. Looks awesome..! Following you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy rolls,healthy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous rolls Nayana. Happy to have you in the group. Looking forward to many more challenges..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayathri and everyone for your lovely comments...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...